Small Business Saturday Awards 2019
1. Best shop front
Shopfronts give that critical first impression to visitors to the high street. Does your shopfront show off your business to your customers? Does it bring in new customers?
- How has the shop front improved your business?
- Email us a photograph of your shop front.
2. Best shop/restaurant interior
High street shops increasingly find it difficult to compete with online shopping. But a well-designed front window and interior can help attract customers and encourage consumers. Do you have an interior with some ‘wow’ factor?
- How has the interior improved your business?
- Email us a photograph of your business’ interior
3. Best cultural or creative event or activity
As the London Borough of Culture in 2020 Brent is getting ready to celebrate our diversity, creativity and culture. This award recognises the contribution which business and groups bring to the cultural life of the borough. It is open to organisations and groups delivering cultural, creative and artistic activities, including theatre, art, music, design and businesses that provide entertainment including events such as festivals or exhibitions.
- Explain what you have done and how this has impacted on the community.
- Explain how you have successfully engaged with the community engagement
4. Friendliest business
Excellent customer service is key to every successful business particularly for those on our high streets. This award is for businesses that go the extra mile and welcome everyone who comes through their doors.
- Describe how you look after your customers and ensure they receive a good service.
- Provide some feedback from customers
5. Best online offer
A good website tells potential customers about your business, who you are and what you do. Selling on line and the use of social media is becoming increasingly important to the success of many high street businesses.
- Describe how you have developed your web site and online presence.
- Provide a link to your business’s website?
- Describe how the website and online presence has benefited the business.
6. Best contribution to the environment and community
Does your business have a strong commitment to the local community. Does your business add value to Brent`s communities and the local environment through practical support, collaboration and investment. This award is open to businesses, social enterprises and community organisations.
- Describe what you have done to support Brent`s communities and/or the local environment.
- Provide evidence of the benefits and impact the business has had on the community.
7. Best business partnership initiative
This award is for businesses that have collaborated with others to come up with an initiative to benefit the wider community.
- Describe how you worked with other organisations to come up with an initiative to benefit the wider community?.
- How did the initiative benefit the community?
What previous winners say...
‘We won the Responsible Employer Award in 2018. We received great coverage for our environmental and social responsibility work to be plastic free’.
Lucy Mitchell, MD of SeeWoo.
‘It was great winning the award. It showed that people really appreciated the hard work we had put in to make the business a success’.
Max Reich, founder and owner of Rubio in Harlesden.
‘I saw my sales went up by 20% after winning the awards and our likes on social media received 4 and 5 stars’.
Mohammed Faisal, owner of Desi Zaika in Wembley.
Top six tips for submitting your application
- Read all the categories and apply to those categories which are most suitable for your business.
- You are more likely to be successful if you show us exactly how you meet what the judges are looking for.
- Include testimonials from customers. These should support what you are saying. You might think your business is fantastic but this needs to be backed up by your customers.
- Include facts or figures to support your application. It is better to say ‘My turnover increased by £10,000 in 18/19 and I employed 2 extra part-time staff’. Rather than simply ‘My business grew in 18/19’.
- Keep your application to a maximum of 500 words.
- Make sure you get your application submitted by 14 October at 8pm.