Food business inspections
Things to read
All food businesses are inspected to ensure that the food is safe to consume. The frequency of these inspections depends upon the potential risk posed by the type of business and its previous record.
What we check
Our inspections check:
- that food is hygienically handled
- that food is safe to eat
- the potential risk for food poisoning or injury
- food handlers are properly trained
- the condition of equipment and the premises
- that there are precautions to prevent pest infestation
If problems are identified during the inspection, inspectors can issue advice or take enforcement action to protect the public.
Food Hygiene Ratings
The findings of all inspections are published as a hygiene rating and then added to the findings from across the UK by the Food Standards Agency.