Fireworks and explosives licence

To sell or store fireworks in Brent the occupier of the premises must register with us.

Sale of fireworks

Applications for a licence for the storage of explosives/fireworks are made under the Explosives Regulations 2014.
Please read both the guidance notes here  and the notes below, to ensure that you are aware of the new storage requirements and that the application forms are completed correctly and returned with the correct fee.


To apply for a firework storage licence please contact us to request an application form.

Contact business licences

If you are intending to supply fireworks outside the normal permitted period's e.g. New Year, Chinese New Year, 15 October to 10 November and Diwali, you will also need to make a separate application to your local licensing authority for a licence to comply with the Fireworks Regulations 2014.

Storage of fireworks

The government's fireworks safety campaign provides guidance leaflets and materials for organisers of firework displays for the public, retailers selling fireworks, schools and the media, including the Firework Safety Code.
Professionally organised displays are regulated by the Health and Safety Executive who publish booklets on:

  • Storage of fireworks
  • Fireworks safety
  • Giving your own firework display; and
  • Working together

These are aimed at organisers of events where a professional firework display company fires the display, and available from Health and Safety Executive Books. Further information regarding the current legislation can be found on the Health and Safety Executive website.  

Guidance notes

Before applying please read the guidance notes below:

IMPORTANT: It is your responsibility to ensure you are aware of, and comply with, the Explosives Regulations 2014.


The licensing authority has the power to prohibit storage of explosives at the site if it believes the site is no longer suitable. It may also take enforcement action if you are not storing safely.

1) This form should not be used for an application for a licence to store the explosives listed below:

  • Relevant explosives
  • Ammunition the acquisition of which is regulated or prohibited by virtue of the Firearms Acts 1968 to 1997
  • Smokeless powder or percussion caps
  • Explosives stored by a person who is registered as a firearms dealer under section 33 of the Firearms Act 1968
  • If you want to store the explosives listed above, you should use form ER2. You should only use this form if you want to store up to 2000kg of explosives. If you want to store more than 2000kg of explosives you should apply to the Health and Safety Executive.

2) If there is insufficient room to provide the information requested, please continue on a separate sheet(s). You should also put your name and address at the top of each sheet before attaching the sheet(s) to your application form.

3) Please contact your local licensing authority if you have any questions about completing this form or about your application.

4) Please note: Any previous convictions you may have may be subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. You do not have to include convictions that are 'spent' on this application form. Where the application relates to a corporate body or company convictions of all directors should be listed.

5) Separation distances - You will not normally be required to maintain separation distances if you store no more than the below amounts on one site:

  • 250kg HT4
  • 25kg HT3 (or combination of HT3 and HT4)
  • 0.1kg HT1
  • 0.1kg HT2
  • If you are unsure whether your store or places where you will be manufacturing or processing explosives on site are subject to separation distances, contact your local licensing authority.

The following documents should be submitted with the application form:

6) A plan to a scale sufficient to show the location of the site in relation to its surroundings (i.e. named or numbered roads, hamlets, villages or geographical features). Where the site does not have a postal address this should normally be a minimum scale of 1:25000.

7) If the store is subject to separation distances you will also need to provide an Ordnance Survey Site plan (or similar) map showing the location of the store and distances to any neighbouring buildings. The plan should also show any areas where you intend to process or manufacture explosives where a licence for those activities is not required under regulation 6 of the Explosives Regulations 2014. The scale will depend on the separation distance. For a distance of up to 200 metres, a 1:1250 would normally be required while greater distance would require a 1:2500 or even a Super Plan. Where this plan clearly identifies the location of the site in relation to its surroundings it can be substituted for the plan referred to in 6 above.

8) If you intend to store or display more than 12.5kg of fireworks on a shop floor, the licensing authority will require you submit a floor plan of the sales area.

9) If you intend to store, process or manufacture explosives within a building that is also used for other purposes you should include a floor plan showing the places within the building where you intend storing, processing or manufacturing the explosives.

10) The fee must also be submitted with the application or contact your licensing authority for advice.

Hazard type and quantity

11) The licensing authority will need to know the hazard type and quantity of the explosives you wish to store to determine whether your store is suitable. The quantity you will be allowed to store will depend on the hazard type of the explosives. Please contact your supplier if you are uncertain about the hazard types of explosive you wish to store.

12) The 'quantity' refers to the 'net mass' of the explosives. This means the weight of the explosive contained within an article i.e. less packaging, casings, etc.