Registration of non-commercial society application
Gambling Act 2005 requires small society lotteries to be registered with the local authority where the principal head office of the society is situated in order to operate lotteries/raffles.
Download the: Registration of non-commercial society application form
Non-commercial society lotteries/raffles
We also provide for the registration of small society lottery registrations.
For an application to be legally registered, the society must be established for a charitable and/or non-profit making purpose such as a charity or fund raising society.
The Gambling Act defines a society as such if it is established and conducted for the purpose of one or more of the following:
- for charitable purposes;
- for the purpose of enabling participation in, or of supporting, sport, athletics or a cultural activity;
- for any other non-commercial purpose other than that of private gain
The society must have been established for one of the permitted purposes listed above, and the proceeds of any lottery must be devoted to those purposes. It is not permissible to establish a society whose the sole purpose is to facilitate lotteries - it must have some other purpose.
Things to read
- Information for applicants
- Licence fees
- Licensing registers and consultations
- Pool of Model Conditions
- Licensing glossary
- Guidance - Entitlement to Work
- Guidance - Personal Licence Qualifications
- Guidance - Relevant or Foreign Offences
- National Fraud Initiative
- Get a licence
- Licence fees
- Planning and building control
- Advice for food businesses
- Business events and networking opportunities