Special beauty treatment licence application
Includes forms 2, 3 and 3a - forms to be filled in depending on the professional body to which you belong.
Download the: Special treatment licence application form
Form 2 - application for exemption from special treatments licence
This exemption application form is for members of accepted Professional Bodies that want to administer special treatments in this borough. Exemptions will only be granted for authorised treatments to bona fide members of the bodies listed
Accepted exempt professional bodies
Download a list of the professional bodies considered exemptfrom the need for a special treatments licence.
Some beauty treatments require a special licence. If you operate a special treatment premises in Brent, you may require a special treatment premises licence from us. Special treatments include: massage, manicure, acupuncture, tattooing, cosmetic piercing, chiropody, light, vapour, sauna or other baths. See a full list of special treatments. This list is not exhaustive.
Contact us if you are unsure as to whether the treatment you intend to offer requires a licence.
An application for a renewal, variation or new licence must be submitted 35 days before treatments are first offered/advertised (or an existing licence is due to expire) together with:
- the fees
- qualification certificates
- the results of a Criminal Records Check for all named persons on the application
Licences remain in force for one year.
During the assessment process the fire service is consulted, criminal records results are considered, every qualification certificate received is checked for authenticity and an inspection of the premises is carried out for all new and high risk premises.
Special Treatment Licence applications without the appropriate Training Certificates will not be accepted by this department.
If applications are not received with the appropriate documents your licence application will be returned to you. If this occurs and your current licence expires, you will be trading without a Special Treatment Licence and in accordance with the legislation, enforcement action will be taken if you are found to be administering or advertising treatments.
Please be advised that any amendments to the Licence prior to its next renewal will be deemed as a Variation of your licence which will incur an additional fee per application.
A variation application will need to be submitted with this additional cost
Special treatments have been categorised by the Council according to their potential risk of harm to the client and/or practitioner.
|Category||Special treatment type|
|Exhibition||Special Treatment Exhibitions|
|A||Laser, Intense Pulse Light|
|B||Acupressure, Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Body-piercing, Massage, Semi-permanent make-up, Shiatsu, Tattooing|
|C||Beauty treatments, Chiropody, Electrolysis, Floatation, Pedicure, Reflexology, Sauna, Sunbeds|
|D||Manicure, Ear-piercing, Nose-piercing|
We may refuse an application for a licence on any of the following grounds:
- The premises is not structurally suitable for the purpose
- There is a likelihood of a nuisance being caused in the area due to the premises
- The premises is not managed by a fit and proper person
- The persons giving the treatments are not suitably qualified
- The premises was or is being improperly conducted
- The premises does not have satisfactory means of lighting, sanitation and ventilation
- The means of heating the premises is not safe
- Precautions against fire on the premises is not satisfactory
- The safety of the equipment being used is not satisfactory
- The safety of the treatment being given is not satisfactory
- Suitable means of escape in case of fire is not provided
- Suitable means for fire fighting are not provided
- You have been convicted of an offence
- You have failed to comply with the law
- Laser and intense pulse light guidance
- Conditions for all premises offering laser or intense pulse light
- Clinical waste guidance
- Body piercing guidelines
- Infection control guidance
Things to read
- Information for applicants
- Licence fees
- Licensing registers and consultations
- Pool of Model Conditions
- Licensing glossary
- Guidance - Plan Requirements
- Guidance - Entitlement to Work
- Guidance - Personal Licence Qualifications
- Guidance - Relevant or Foreign Offences
- National Fraud Initiative
- Get a licence
- Licence fees
- Planning and building control
- Advice for food businesses
- Business events and networking opportunities