Party patrols to crackdown on noise nuisance

10 August 2021

Noisy residents are the target this summer in a shut down on noise disturbances.

Party Patrol teams will inspect the borough and clamp down on excessively noisy parties and unlicensed music events - issuing warnings or even confiscating speakers and music equipment if a party is creating an unreasonable disturbance.

Warmer days and longer evenings usually prompt an increase in noise complaints. To nip the nuisance behaviour in the bud, Party Patrols will be in operation between 6pm and 2am on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

They will check events to see that noise is kept to a reasonable level, use noise monitoring equipment, and make sure that any businesses have the correct license if they choose to host a party.

Where appropriate, officers will engage with private landlords and housing associations and, if necessary, demand tenancy management interventions.

Cllr Promise Knight, Cabinet Member for Community Safety and Engagement, Brent Council said: “Persistent and excessive noise can be a nightmare for many neighbours. We want to strike the right balance in allowing people to enjoy themselves and not letting that fun disturb other people.

“That’s why we are taking a hard line against those who lack consideration and cause misery for others.”

Avoid a visit from the Party Patrol with these tips from our Noise Nuisance team:

  • Tell your neighbours in advance of your plans – or better still, invite them.
  • Keep noise to a reasonable level at all times. Many people wrongly believe you can play loud music before 11pm. The law actually requires neighbourly and considerate behaviour at all times. It is a good idea to turn music right down after 11pm and to close windows and doors.
  • It is difficult to control music noise when you are outside in the open, so avoid speakers in the garden.
  • Ask guests to leave quietly after the party – no shouting, revving of car engines, or sounding of car horns.
  • Businesses looking to host a party must seek permission from their local authority if they are not already licensed for activities like music and the consumption of alcohol. If you’re unsure whether you need a license, please contact the team at 

To report noise nuisance or an unlicensed music event, download the Noise App at or visit our noise nuisance web page.