Cllr Arshad Mahmood was yesterday (14 May) elected as the new Mayor of Brent for 2018-19.
Cllr Mahmood was elected at the Annual Meeting of Brent Council as First Citizen of Brent at the Mayor Making Ceremony which took place at Brent Civic Centre. The event was attended by councillors from across the borough, as well as representatives from Brent’s voluntary and community organisations. Cllr Ernest Ezeajughi was also elected as Deputy Mayor.
Born in Pakistan, Cllr Mahmood came to the UK at the age of 14. He has lived in Dollis Hill his whole life and is now a councillor for that ward. He has worked mainly within the retail industry, before being inspired by his cousin, a social worker, to stand for the Council. He has four children and four grandchildren.
The Mayor will be supporting two charities during his year in office:
- Sufra NW London – a local charity established in 2013 to address both the causes and consequences of impoverishment in the community. The Community Hub provides a life-line for people in crisis, including families living in extreme poverty and people who are vulnerable, homeless and socially isolated.
The READ foundation – a non-profit organisation working to create school places for children affected by poverty. They have been delivering educational and welfare projects in the developing world since 1994.
The new Mayor of Brent said:
"It is a huge honour to be appointed Mayor of Brent and to serve this great borough. I’m looking forward to working together with residents and community groups across Brent, as well as raising money for my chosen charities for the year. "I would also like to thank my friend and colleague, the outgoing Mayor Cllr Bhagwanji Chohan, for his significant contribution to the office of Mayor."
Cllr Ernest Ezeajughi, who represents Stonebridge ward, was also elected as Deputy Mayor.
During the ceremony, tributes were paid to Cllr Lesley Jones MBE, former Mayor of Brent, who sadly passed away earlier this month and Richard Hazlehurst who served Mapesbury ward.
At the meeting, the Leader of the Council, Cllr Muhammed Butt also nominated his new Cabinet members. The Cabinet and their portfolios are:
- Cllr Muhammed Butt – Leader of the Council (also Cabinet Member for Community Safety)
- Cllr Margaret McLennan – Deputy Leader of the Council, Resources
- Cllr Shama Tatler – Regeneration, Highways and Planning
- Cllr Krupa Sheth – Environment
- Cllr Amer Agha – Schools, Employment & Skills
- Cllr Mili Patel – Children’s Safeguarding, Early Help and Social Care
- Cllr Krupesh Hirani – Public Health, Culture and Leisure
- Cllr Harbi Farah – Adult Social Care
- Cllr Eleanor Southwood – Housing and Welfare Reform
Residents can keep up with the Mayor's official engagements and visits around Brent by following his Twitter feed: @mayorofbrent.
Watch video of the Mayor making ceremony 2018