Community Lottery gets thumbs up
18 June 2019
Proposals to set up a Brent Community Lottery to provide a new income stream to the local Voluntary and Community Sector have been given the go ahead by Brent Council’s Cabinet this week.
The community lottery will provide a cash boost for the borough’s Voluntary and Community Sector which, along with the council, has faced funding cuts following years of Government led austerity.
Anyone who buys a ticket will be in with the chance to win up to £25,000 while raising money for a local good cause or charity of their choosing.
60% of cash raised will go straight to local good causes with the other 40% providing the prize fund for winners and covering VAT and the running of the scheme.
Councillor Krupesh Hirani, Cabinet Member for Public Health, Culture and Leisure said: "The Community Lottery model is already being used very successfully by over 50 other councils across the country. We have now been given the go ahead to follow this positive trend to help support the Voluntary and Community Sector and provide them with access to alternative sources of funding. We hope Brent residents will take part knowing that they are supporting their local charity or good cause as well as having the added incentive of winning some cash."