Applications are now open for school admission in September 2017 and parents and carers should apply now.
- Primary or Infant school - for children born between 1 September 2012 and 31 August 2013
- Transfer to Junior School - forchildren born between 1 September 2009 and 31 August 2010 who currently attend an infant school in Year 2
- Transfer to Secondary School - for children born between 1 September 2005 and 31 August 2006
Applying on time greatly increases the chances of success. The deadlines for applying are:
- 31 October 2016 - deadline for applications to transfer to secondary school
- 15 January 2017 - deadline for Reception applications & transfer to junior school
Parents should remember that expressing a preference is not the same as choosing which school their child will attend. Many schools in Brent receive more applications than there are places available.
Parents are advised to make realistic preferences by researching the admissions criteria of their preferred schools to determine how likely they are to be successful.
Parents are encouraged to list up to six preferences on their application and include the schools nearest to home amongst their preferences. Listing only one school does not increase the chances of success.
Cllr Margaret McLennan, Brent Council's Deputy Leader, said:
"It is incredibly important for our young people in Brent to be given the best start in life and this involves making sure that their first school place is one they will be happy with.
"Education is the starting block from which our young people can go on to have a successful life and career, so it is incredibly important that parents and carers take a closer look at the opportunities that are available in our schools.
"If they haven't done so already, I'd encourage them to research which schools they would like to apply to, use all six preferences and apply well before the deadline."
Detailed information and the online application form is available online at www.brent.gov.uk/admissions.
Offers for secondary schools are released on 1 March 2017 while offers for reception and junior schools are released on 18 April 2017.