We are delighted that our status as a Fairtrade Borough has been successfully renewed for another two years, with very positive feedback from the Fairtrade Foundation:
“It’s been fantastic to hear about everything that you have achieved in the past few years. Your group has demonstrated dedication to take your campaign forward and ensure Fairtrade becomes part of daily life in Brent.”
This means that, as a council, we are committed to sell, serve, use and promote Fairtrade products.
How we became a Fairtrade Borough
To become a Fairtrade borough we did several things to raise awareness and promote Fairtrade including:
- passing a resolution to support Fairtrade and agreeing to serve Fairtrade products
- at least two Fairtrade products be readily available in numerous retail and catering outlets
- local workplaces and community organisations supporting Fairtrade and using products wherever possible
- media coverage and events that were organised to raise awareness and understanding of Fairtrade across the community
- setting up a local Fairtrade steering group, the Brent Fairtrade Network.