Kiln Formed Glass Course
Who is this course for:
This course is suitable for absolute beginners and would be a good introduction for anyone who wants to learn about glass cutting, fusing and slumping, making leaded or copper foil glass panels. It is also suitable for those with some experience who want to develop their design and technical skills in a supportive atmosphere with guidance from the tutor.
What will I study? You will:
• Get a basic understanding of glass kiln processes and materials.
• Learn the different techniques used in glass fusing and slumping.
• Learn the different techniques used to make glass panels.
• Design and make objects for fusing and slumping in the kiln.
• Experiment and develop ideas into a design.
• Design and make panels. Possibly combining kiln formed techniques.
• Design and make an artwork or bowl from fused glass.
• If you are have been doing a project the previous term you can continue.
By the end of the course you will be able to do the following:
• Design simple fusing and slumping projects.
• Cut glass for your designs.
• Have a basic understanding of various fusing and slumping techniques.
• Experiment with colour.
• Experiment with texture.
• Understand placements in the kiln.
How is the course taught?
The tutor will complete an individual learning plan to discover your starting point and find out what you want to get out of the course. The plan will identify how best to support you. Your Tutor will demonstrate techniques, show inspiring examples and provide handouts to support your learning. You will learn by experience, demonstration, group work and practice! You will work with others in a supportive atmosphere.
How will I be assessed?
Your progress will be reviewed by regular feedback from the tutor, discussions, selfassessment, group and peer work as well as the finished projects.
By the end of the course, what vocational skills will I obtain?
Creative Craft skills including Glass cutting, glass slumping and fusing, kiln use, design, composition and effective use of colour. This course provides skills for the following employment sectors: Creative Arts and Crafts.
What materials do I need for the course?
At the first session, the tutor will supply a list of suppliers and an estimate of costs. You will need a notepad, sketchbook and pencil.
You will need to buy a special fusing glass (Spectrum 96) and compatible materials. Costs will depend on the nature and size of your design.
Glass for Stained Glass. Please bring an overall or apron to protect your clothing, and an old tea towel for cleaning and drying your glass.
What courses can I progress to after successfully completing this one?
Stained and KilnFormed Glass, Drawing and Painting, Pottery, or other crafts.
We also offer course in
For more information and to enrol, please visit our website.