Documents you'll need

Some people may need to provide evidence to support their claim. If you need to, you will be notified of what you need to provide and how you need to provide it. Below are examples of documents we may ask you for.


Please provide documents for all members of the household:

TypeWhat to provide
Identity Either a current passport or driving licence
National Insurance Number

Your National Insurance card, a recent payslip or a letter from the Job Centre or Tax Credits showing your number


Please provide documents for all adults in the household:

TypeWhat to provide
Wage slips Your last two-monthly, five-weekly or three fortnightly payslips

Complete and return our self-employed form, or provide your last audited accounts. We cannot accept a tax return to the HMRC.

Proof of employment

Your employment contract

Tax credits and state pension or benefits You can just tell us that there has been a change. We will check with Department for Work and Pensions or the HMRC what your current entitlement is.


Please provide documents for the person claiming and their partner:

Type What to provide
Bank account Your last two months' bank statements
Building society

An updated building society book


Your share certificate

  • A letter from your mortgage lender showing the outstanding mortgage on the property.
  • A tenancy agreement showing the rent you receive from tenants if applicable and an indication of the current value of the property.


Please provide documents for the person claiming

TypeWhat to provide
Rent Your most recent tenancy agreement. This must be signed by both the tenant and landlord and show the landlord's address.