Change in Circumstances

If you are currently entitled to Housing Benefit and have a certain change in your circumstances, you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit. Once you have claimed Universal Credit, your Housing Benefit award will end.

Examples of the changes which may move you to Universal Credit are:

  • You are making a claim for Tax Credits for the first time
  • You lose your job and need to make a claim for an out-of-work benefit
  • You become sick, and cannot work
  • Your child reaches 5 years old and your Income Support ends
  • A Partner moves in with you, and that partner is entitled to Universal Credit

Please note that this list is not exhaustive.

Your Housing Benefit will not end in these circumstances until our office is notified that you have made a claim for Universal Credit.