Change in Circumstances
If you are currently entitled to Housing Benefit and have a certain change in your circumstances, you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit. Once you have claimed Universal Credit, your Housing Benefit award will end.
Examples of the changes which may move you to Universal Credit are:
- You are making a claim for Tax Credits for the first time
- You lose your job and need to make a claim for an out-of-work benefit
- You become sick, and cannot work
- Your child reaches 5 years old and your Income Support ends
- A Partner moves in with you, and that partner is entitled to Universal Credit
Please note that this list is not exhaustive, some changes will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
Your Housing Benefit will not end in these circumstances until our office is notified that you have made a claim for Universal Credit.