Re-register a child's birth
A child’s birth can be re-registered to include up-to-date information if:
- the natural father’s details weren’t entered at the time of the original birth registration
- the child’s parents have married after the original birth registration.
- If the marriage was outside England and Wales the documentation has to be sent to the General Register Office for authorisation to complete the new registration
To apply for a re-registration, both parents should complete and relevant form(s) below and send to the address on the form(s)
- The natural father’s details were not included on the original birth certificate
- The natural father is unable to visit Brent Register Office
- The parents have married since child’s birth
Once your completed form(s) has been processed you will need to make an appointment to re-register your child’s birth.
Phone 020 8937 1010 to make an appointment to re-register a child's birth.
The mother's and child's surnames can be changed at this point and a new birth certificate made. You can buy full certificates, showing the parents details, on the day of registration for £11 each.
More detailed information about the re-registering process is available at Gov.uk.