Children’s Funeral Fund for England
Under a government scheme introduced on 23 July 2019, parents will no longer have to meet the costs of burials or cremations. Fees will be reclaimed by Brent Council and met instead though government funding.
This includes a suitable size plot, the interment fees and cemetery fees to erect a memory (it does not include the memorial itself). There are some restrictions around the type of plot size and this depends on availability. Our cemeteries staff would be happy to provide details and discuss with families and or their funeral directors.
Brent will apply to the Ministry of Justices for the funds so families do not have the worry and anxiety at such a difficult time.
The only conditions for the scheme are:
- the child had not reached their 18th birthday at the time of their death; or
- the child was stillborn after the 24th week of pregnancy (as defined in section 41 of the Births and Deaths Registration Act 1953); and
- the burial or cremation takes place in England;
- and the burial or cremation is taking/ took place on or after 23rd July 2019.
The scheme is not means-tested, and the residency or nationality of the deceased child, or of the person organising the burial or cremation, will not be relevant in determining eligibility.
- Buying and owning a grave
- Children’s Funeral Fund for England