Use our Tell Us Once service

Things to read

Tell Us Once is an initiative where we are working in partnership with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

When registering a death, with your permission, we can inform the relevant government departments and some council services about the person who has died.  

Whom do we inform?

With the right paperwork, we can do the following:

  • We can help to cancel any benefits and state pensions that the deceased person was receiving and also inform the Tax Office - Please bring along the deceased's National Insurance Number. If you are not sure of this, any recent papers relating to benefits or state pensions that you can find.
  • If you are the deceased's surviving partner please also bring your own National Insurance Number.
  • If the deceased held a passport please bring it along and we will cancel it for you and inform the Passport Service;
  • If the deceased held a driving licence please bring it along and we'll cancel it for you and inform the Driver Vehicle Licence Authority (DVLA);
  • If the deceased had a Council Blue Badge for car parking then please bring that along too.
  • We can remove the person from the electoral register.

If you do not wish to complete this at the time of the death registration, we can give you a reference number and an online web address to complete this at home in your own time.

We can notify other local authorities who are signed up to the 'Tell Us Once' service. Harrow residents, please note that Harrow council are not yet part of this scheme.

To contact the Department for Work and Pensions direct please ring 0800 085 7308.

Things to read