Converting a civil partnership to a marriage

The Marriage (same Sex Couples) Act 2013 provides the opportunity for civil partners to convert their civil partnership to a marriage. Couples can attend any register office to convert their civil partnership to a marriage by appointment only. 

  • A declaration is made and signed confirming the civil partnership was not dissolved and that both wish to convert to a marriage
  • The couple can then be issued with a marriage certificate.

What you'll need to bring 

  • Both partners will need to provide evidence of their identity (eg passport) and the civil partnership registration (certificates)

Marriage ceremony

You can if you wish to have a marriage celebration ceremony to follow the conversion in a location of your choice. An extra fee will be payable for this element and it does not have to be the same day.

Brent Register Office can offer you a modern ceremonies suite, with enhanced features and landscape gardens.

Visit our wedding ceremonies area

You can also choose from one of our approved venues in Brent