Give notice of marriage or civil partnership

Legal Notice of Marriage and Civil Partnership is now OPEN - Please book an appointment to give notice or call us 020 8937 1010 for more details.

Civil Marriage and Civil Partnership Ceremonies are OPEN from the following phased dates:
8 March 2021 - 6 people (Couple and 4 guests)
12 April 2021 - 15 people (Couple and 13 guests)
17 May 2021 - 30 people (Couple and 28 guests)
21 June 2021 - Room capacity (in accordance to government guidance issued at the time)

Please note priority will be given to ceremonies cancelled during the period from 20 December 2020 to 7 March 2021.

Before you can marry or join in civil partnership in a register office, approved premises, church or chapel in England or Wales (other than a Church of England where you may have banns called), you must give notice of your intention.

Notice of Marriage or Notice of Civil Partnership is a legal document showing:

  • the two people getting married or registering a civil partnership
  • the venue where the ceremony will take place.

You will need to make an appointment to have a face-to-face interview with our Registration team, stating who you are, where exactly the marriage or civil partnership will take place and giving your partner's full name, date of birth, age, profession and address. You must be resident for a period of 8 days at one address in England or Wales before legal notice of intent can be given.

Make an appointment to give notice of marriage or civil partnership

Please read below instructions before making an appointment.

When and where to give your Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership

  • We recommend you book your notice appointment at least 3 months before your ceremony.
  • Legally you must give notice between 29 days and one year before your ceremony.
  • Couples subject to immigration control may have their notice period extended to 70 days by the Home Office. You are advised not to plan your ceremony date until the 70 days have expired.
  • If both of you are British citizens or a members of the European Union (EU), you must give the notice in the local authority for the area you have lived for at least the last eight days.
  • If one or both of the couple is a foreign national (outside of the EU), the notice of intent can be given in any designated register office. Please note, you both have to give notice together. Brent is designated register office. 
  • If you are marrying in a Church of England and you are subject to immigration control you will now need to give legal notice of intent in a designated register office, such as Brent.

Marrying in a religious building

  • If you are marrying in a religious building outside of the district where you live, it must be your usual place of worship.
  • You don’t have to give notice if you’re getting married in a Church of England church, unless one or both of you are foreign nationals subject to immigration control.
  • We advise obtaining a letter from the religious person stating that you have attended regular worship at the religious building and have organised a ceremony date.

When you give notice you’ll need to bring

You must bring the original documents to the Registrar when giving legal notices and not a copy. 

  • a current valid passport, travel document or EEA Identity Card
  • proof of residency – any utility bill dated within 3 months; valid UK driving license, bank statements dated within 1 month, current council tax bill, or a letter from the landlord or home owner. All document have to be issued in England and Wales.
  • statutory notice fee of £35.00 each. However, if one or both parties is a non EEA national and subject to immigration control the fee will be £47.00 for each notice. 
  • An interpreter who can speak and read both English and your language fluently if either of you can’t understand of speak English (you can’t interpret for each other).

If you are a non EEA national:

  • current visa or biometric residency card if you have these for proof of legal stay if one or both parties is a non EEA national
  • if one or both parties is a non EEA national or on a marriage/fiancé/ joining partner visa and subject to the immigration control you will need to supply 1 passport sized picture each

If you have changed your name, you will also need:

  • evidence of the change of name by deed poll or statutory declaration.

If you have been married or joined in civil partnership before, you will also need to give proof of the marriage or civil partnership ending legally:

  • If divorced in the UK this will be a County Court Judgment or a High Court Judgment of the Family Division.
  • If divorced abroad, the original court papers with an English translation.
  • If widowed, or surviving civil partner - evidence of the marriage and death. Please be aware there are additional charges (£50/£75) to clear foreign divorce documents.

If you are under 18:

  • you need permission from your parents or guardians to get married or form a civil partnership in England or Wales.

Please contact us on 020 8937 1010 for more details as the requirements will vary according to your circumstances.


Book an appointment to give notice at Brent Register Office  £35 for each person
Book an appointment to give notice at Brent Register Office (If you are referred for immigration purposes) £47 for each person
The statutory fee is taken at the time of booking your appointment.


Abuse of immigration laws

We are working with the UK Border Agency to identify marriages and civil partnerships which seek to abuse UK immigration laws.

Anybody found to be arranging, facilitating or entering into a marriage or civil partnership solely to gain permission to stay in the UK risks arrest or prosecution. Foreign nationals may also face deportation and be barred from re-entering the UK for up to 14 years.