Eligibility criteria for a specialist nursery place in Brent

General information

Professionals can make a referral to Brent Council’s Under 5’s Supported Nursery Panel if they identify a child with additional needs who they feel would benefit from a specialist nursery place.

You will need to complete a Early Help Assessment (EHA). Parents cannot self refer.

If a child has more complex needs and therefore requires high levels of support, not only from the nursery but also from health professionals, a place would only be agreed at a specialist nursery run by Brent Council.

Eligibility criteria for a supported place at a Brent Council-run nursery, 15 hours a week, term time only

  • Physical or learning difficulties
  • Children on the autistic spectrum
  • Substantial hearing or visual impairments

Available places

  • Curzon Crescent Nursery School and Fawood Nursery School Federation: Six part-time places for children with disabilities or additional needs. Curzon from two years plus and Fawood from three years plus.
  • Granville Plus Nursery School: Six part-time places for children with disabilities or additional needs aged two years plus.
  • Willow Children’s Centre Nursery: Thirty part-time places for children with disabilities from two years plus.

Brent Council also has a budget to fund increased support at private, independent and voluntary (PVI) nurseries, which cater for children with SEND, and with childminders. This is dependant on a decision by the Under 5’s Nursery Panel regarding the nursery or childminder’s ability to be able to meet the specific needs of the child.

To be eligible for this funding, the nursery or childminder must also be rated as ‘good’ or ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted.

Additionally resourced provision for children under five on the autism spectrum

There is additionally resourced provision (ARP) at two settings in Brent for children with autism. The Rainbows group at Fawood Children’s Centre has 16 part-time places and the Horizon group at Granville Plus Nursery School has 11 part-time places. To be considered for one of these places the child must have: