Disability allowances

Find out about the benefits, allowances and grants that may be available if you have a disability or you look after a disabled child or young person.

Blue Badge Scheme

Parking concessions. Your child needs to be in receipt of the higher rate of the disability living allowance, mobility component. Visit our Blue Badge Scheme web pages for more information.

Carer's Allowance

Carers may be able to get a benefit called a Carer's Allowance. This is a contribution
towards the income of carers who are unable to work full-time. It is not a wage for caring.

To find out how much the Carer's Allowance is, and get more information visit GOV.UK.

You may be able to get Carer's Allowance if you:

  • are aged 16 years or over
  • meet conditions about which country you live in
  • earn no more than the 'earnings limit'
  • are not in full-time education (21 hours or more of supervised study each week), and for at least 35 hours a week
  • care for someone who is getting DLA at the middle or highest rate for care.

Council Tax discount

You may be entitled to a discount under the Disability Reduction Scheme if your child is 'substantially and permanently disabled' and certain conditions are met within the home. For further information visit our council tax web section.

Direct payments

Direct payments are made by us to people receiving social care services, instead of the council providing the service directly. Direct payments are payments for people who have been assessed as needing help from social care but they have decided they would like to arrange and pay for their own care and support instead of receiving them directly from Brent Council.

Direct payments do not replace your current income and therefore do not affect any other benefits you may be receiving. Find out more about direct payments

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

This is a tax-free benefit for children who require additional help with personal care, or have walking difficulties caused by a long-term health problem. You should consider applying if your child has a long-term illness, which affects their everyday activities, even if you do not consider your child to be disabled.

The DLA is there to help you meet additional expenses caused by long-term health problems, such as higher heating bills, taxi fares, or additional laundry.

Making a claim can be a long, drawn out and emotionally draining process, but there is help at hand. DLA is non-means tested. This means it is not affected by any money the child or the child's family might have in the form of income or savings. Your child will not automatically be 'registered disabled' if they receive the DLA and it will not make it more difficult to get a job when they become an adult.

Read more about the disability living allowance

Disability premium

Disability premium is an extra amount automatically added to your Income Support if you qualify for it. Find out more at GOV.UK.

Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)

A Disabled Facilities Grant is a local council grant to help towards the cost of adapting your home to enable you to continue to live there. A grant is paid when the council considers that changes are necessary to meet your needs, and that the work is reasonable and practical.

The availability of a DFG is dependent on an assessment by an occupational therapist.

Read more about the disabled facilities grant

Motability Scheme

The higher rate of DLA, mobility component gives access to leasing or purchasing a car. Contact Motability Operations for further information.

Road tax exemption (VED)

If your child gets the higher rate of DLA, mobility component and the vehicle is used solely for the purposes of the disabled child you may be entitled to road tax exemption.

Contact the National Benefit Enquiry Line for more information, on 0800 88 22 00.

School transport costs

While the same basic rules apply to all children, Brent Council can make a decision to provide transport on a case by case basis for a disabled child.

Brent Council will assess your child's needs when making a decision, taking into account your child's health and/or disability and their age. If your child is offered school transport, the vehicle should have the relevant equipment to suit your child's needs - for example ramps or lifts.

Most local councils also provide escorts on school transport if needed. You may be able to get help with your own costs for taking your child to school. Brent Council will be able to tell you if this is possible.

Please go to our page giving more information about school transport for children with special educational needs (SEN).

Travel expenses

If your child has to go into hospital or attend on a regular basis you may be able to claim help with travel expenses. Enquire at the hospital.