Assessment and education, health and care (EHC) planning

Help and support

If you feel your child’s educational needs are not being met adequately, you should speak to your child’s teacher in the first instance. If you remain concerned, ask to have a meeting with the school’s Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO). If your child attends college you should speak to a tutor to discuss your concerns. 

If a resolution is not reached, you should follow the nursery/school/college’s complaints procedure. If you are still not happy after these discussions you can get independent and impartial help and advice from Brent SEND, Information, Advice and Support Service. In cases when it isn't possible to reach an agreement without a third party, we provide an independent, free of charge, disagreement resolution and mediation service run by KIDS London Mediation Service.

You can also appeal to the First-tier Tribunal if you are unhappy with a decision that has been made in relation to your child's EHC needs assessment or EHC plan. The Government has temporarily extended the powers of this tribunal, sometimes referred to as the ‘SEND Tribunal’, to make non-binding recommendations about the health and social care aspects of EHC plans. This applies to local authority decisions made, or EHC plans issued/amended, from 3 April 2018 until 31 August 2020.

Previously, the tribunal had no powers over the health and social care aspects of an EHC plan. Now, all elements of a plan can be reviewed in one place, as long as there is an education concern. This gives families a ‘one-stop shop’ (or single route of redress) to be able to raise concerns about an EHC plan and will mean the tribunal can take a more holistic, person-centred view of the needs of the child or young person. For more information read our briefing note.