Coronavirus update: For the latest updates on Coronavirus (COVID-19), visit the NHS website or view Brent-specific information.

Becoming an adult and preparing for the future

Independent living

Young people with SEND may start thinking about living independently as they get older.

It is very important that they have choices and control when making decisions about their lives. For young people with an education, health and care (EHC) plan, independent living options will be discussed with them as part of their transition planning from Year 9 onwards.

Whether someone can live independently depends upon their ability to be able to make decisions on their own. This ability is called ‘mental capacity’ and will be assessed by social workers or other professionals.

Housing support

Brent provides a range of schemes for adults aged 18+ with medium and high care and support needs. These include Supported Living, Shared Lives and residential and nursing care. Visit our housing support pages for further information.

Support at home for young people with physical disabilities

We provide support at home for young people with physical disabilities via direct payments after an assessment has been carried out by an occupational therapist (OT).

Depending on what needs are identified, the OT may make a referral for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) to help adapt the home environment and promote the young person’s independence. If only minor adaptations are required, the family will be advised to purchase the equipment, if it does not fall within the category funded by the local authority. Information and advice will also be given. If the OT identifies other social care needs, an ongoing care package will be put in place for the young person.

Home Ownership for people with Long-term Disabilities (HOLD)

If you have a long-term disability the HOLD scheme in England could help you buy any home for sale on a shared ownership basis (part rent/part buy). You could buy a share of your home (between 25 and 75 per cent of the home’s value) and pay rent on the remaining share.

Shared Lives

Vulnerable young people and adults may also be able to access the Shared Lives scheme. This involves finding them a home with a suitable carer so they are able to live more independently and also feel part of a family and a community. They may need support because they have autism, dementia or other mental health problems. Our Transitions Team will be able to give you more information about this as a possible option.

Social housing

If you are interested in renting a council or housing association property in Brent you must register first. It is not always the right option for everyone and many people face a long wait. We will always give priority to those with the greatest housing needs.

Useful links