Coronavirus update: For the latest updates on Coronavirus (COVID-19), visit the NHS website or view Brent-specific information.

Becoming an adult and preparing for the future

Staying healthy

As young people with SEND prepare for adulthood, there are many changes for them to negotiate, including how their healthcare is managed as they move from children's to adult services. This includes looking at services that may no longer be available once they reach 18 and identifying and putting in place alternative healthcare provision to support them.

The aim is to ensure that they have a needs assessment completed as early as possible to help ensure a seamless transition and continuous support to adult health services for young people who need them. Young people who receive priority when moving to adult health care services include:

Transition to adult healthcare services for young people with continuing care funding

A key aim with transition for these young people is to ensure that a consistent and continuous package of support is provided for them both during the years before, and after, the move to adulthood. The nature of the package may change because the young person’s needs or circumstances change. It should not change simply because the young person is moving from children’s to adult services or between organisations with commissioning or funding responsibilities. 

Where change is necessary, it should be carried out in a phased manner in full consultation with the young person and their family. No services or funding should be withdrawn unless a full needs assessment has been carried out in respect of both adult health and social care services.

Age 14

When a young person with children's continued care funding reaches the age of 14, their case will be jointly reviewed by their social care worker and a continuing healthcare nurse assessor. 

Age 17.5

When the young person reaches 17.5 years old, Brent's Children and Young People with Disabilities Service (0-25) or a health care professional will complete a checklist to see if continuing care funding is still needed at this stage. This assessment is done in consultation with the young person and their family/carer. If it is, the young person will move over to the adult continuing health care service and this arrangement will be reviewed annually. Young people who are not eligible for continued care funding will have their health needs met by their GP, although if their circumstances change, their doctor can refer them back for another assessment.

Mental health services

There are specialist adult mental health (AMH) services in Brent for people aged 18 and above. Referrals can be made through your child’s GP. If the young person has ongoing mental health issues and is already known to child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS), then discussions between them and AMH should start when the young person is ideally no older than 17.5 years old so that appropriate adult provision can be identified and put in place in a timely manner. AMH services should also be invited to a young person’s education, health and care (EHC) plan review. Other health needs that may be included in a young person’s EHC plan will be continually reviewed and assessed by professionals as part of transition planning from Year 9 onwards, so that any support they may need as they move into adulthood, can be identified early on. 

Integrated Learning Disability Team

This team is made of health and social care professionals from Brent Council and the NHS. It provides specialist health support to enable adults with learning disabilities aged 18+ to be healthy, independent and valued members of their community. The team works closely with Brent’s Disabled Children and Young People’s Service (0-25) to ensure that young people under the care of this team make a successful transition to services provided by the Integrated Learning Disability Team, should they need them.

The team includes:

  • Community learning disability nurses
  • An occupational therapist
  • A physiotherapist
  • Social workers
  • Psychologists
  • A bereavement therapist
  • Psychiatrists

The team sees people in their own homes or at an activity they may be attending. Sometimes, if people are very unwell or troubled, people will be seen in hospital. View further information and eligibility criteria.

Physical disabilities

Brent Council supports people aged 18 and over with physical disabilities, including sight and hearing loss, frailty and illness. Help is also available for people recovering from a hospital stay. If your child needs help with washing, dressing or moving around safely, even with the help of equipment, you may need support from a care worker. This could include short-term assistance from us to identify and plan your ongoing care needs and arranging for someone to come into your home to help you. View further information and eligibility criteria.