In this section of our Local Offer you will find information about the educational provision available in Brent for school-age children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). 

You can read about:

View all education services in the Local Offer

Supporting children with SEND

If you think your child has SEND, you should talk to their early years setting, school or college. If you need confidential help and advice about this, contact Brent SEND Information, Advice and Support Service.

Some children and young people who have been identified as having more complex educational needs will receive support at their setting through an education, health and care (EHC) plan. EHC plans replaced statements of special educational needs and learning difficulty assessments from 1 September 2014.

Other children who do not require an EHC plan, but have special educational needs, may receive extra help in school through a programme called SEN Support as well as specialist services from outside their school/college.

In Brent there are a number of teams who support children and young people with additional needs, including:

Schools and colleges are legally required to make arrangements to support children with additional needs and receive funding to do this. They must publish a SEND Information Report on their website which shows how they identify, assess and make provision for pupils with SEND. We have produced a SEND minimum standards document that schools and colleges should be meeting.

Find out how we are planning to create more school places for children and young people with SEND and have your say about the proposals.