Information, help and advice
It can be hard knowing where to go to get the right help and advice if you have a child with SEND. This section has information about council, voluntary and community services that can support you and your family. In Brent, there are several key organisations that are a good place to start.
- SEND parents helpline Offers peer-to-peer advice and information on a wide range of issues affecting families who have children with special educational needs and disabilities.
- Brent SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) provides confidential and impartial advice about education, health and social care for families of children and young people with SEND up to the age of 25.
- Brent Carers Centre offers information and support to carers across the borough and advises them about their rights and needs.
- Brent Parent Carer Forum Community Interest Company (BPCF CIC) offers support, information and networking opportunities for parents of children and young people with SEND, and works with the council and other service providers to help shape and deliver local services. View meeting dates for 2020/2021.
- Brent Children and Families Information Service (CFIS) can give you information on a range of services and activities for children and young people aged 0 to 19 years old (up to 25 years for young people with SEND) including childcare, children’s centres, play schemes, leisure and libraries.
There are many local and national organisations that help children and young people with SEND. They offer support groups, helplines, online resources, activities and sometimes direct face-to-face support. Some of these groups provide support according to specific types of need, and you will find these listed below.
- Physical disabilities and difficulties
- Social, emotional and mental health needs
- Speech, language and communication needs
- Visual and hearing difficulties
- Mental health, drugs and alcohol
- Organisations that offer general SEND-related help and advice
Other useful information
- Resolving disagreements about your child's SEND
- Help with childcare costs
- Parenting support
- Transport assistance to school or college
- Leisure and short break services
- Money and benefits advice
- Information, help and advice
- Our SEND support services