Information, Help and Advice
It can be hard knowing where to go to get the right advice and support if you have a child with SEND. This section of our Local Offer has comprehensive information about services that can help you. In Brent there are several key organisations that are a good place to start.
- Brent SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) provides confidential and impartial advice about education, health and social care for families of children and young people with SEND up to the age of 25.
- Brent Carers Centre offers information and support to carers across the borough and advises them about their rights and needs.
- Brent Parent Carer Forum (BPCF) arranges information and networking opportunities for parents of children and young people with additional needs and works with the council and other service providers to help shape and deliver local SEND services.
- Brent Children and Families Information Service (CFIS) can give you information on a range of services and activities for children and young people aged 0 to 19 years old (up to 25 years for young people with SEND) including childcare, children’s centres, play schemes, leisure and libraries.
There are many local and national organisations that help children and young people with SEND. They offer support groups, helplines, online resources, activities and sometimes direct face-to-face support. Some of these groups provide support according to specific types of need, and you will find these listed below.
- Physical disabilities and difficulties
- Social, emotional and mental health needs
- Speech, language and communication needs
- Visual and hearing difficulties
- Mental health, drugs and alcohol
- Organisations that offer SEND-related help and advice
- Home, holiday and respite care
For information about short breaks in Brent, view our leisure and short breaks statement
Other useful information
- Money and benefits advice
- Transport assistance to school or college
- Resolving disagreements about your child's SEND
- Help with childcare costs
- Parenting support