Money and benefits

In this section you can find out about benefits, grants and funding that may be available to support your child, or you as a parent or carer. There are several independent organisations in Brent that can help you identify and claim financial support and provide advice on managing money.

  • Citizens Advice Brent offers practical, up-to-date information and advice on a wide range of topics, including debt, benefits, housing, legal, discrimination, employment, immigration, consumer and other problems.
  • Brent Carers Centre can advise you if you are unsure about the benefits you should be receiving. Trained advisors can help you complete benefit forms and offer advice about how to manage finances and/or debt
  • Brent Mencap offers a drop-in service every Thursday and can help you assess welfare benefits and money issues.
  • Contact has comprehensive information about disability benefits and tax credits that you may be entitled to, including what financial help your child may be eligible to claim once they reach 16 

There’s a useful overview of the financial help that’s available for disabled people on the GOV.UK website and you can also use an independent benefits calculator to find out what support you might qualify for and an estimate of how much you could receive.

Find out more about: