Disagreement resolution and mediation services

Sometimes disagreements arise between the council and parents/carers over how best to meet the needs of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

Brent SEND Information, Advice and Support Service should always be approached in the first instance for impartial and unbiased advice, support and informal mediation at a local level. 

You can also use an independent, free of charge, disagreement resolution and mediation service run by KIDS Mediation Service. The charity’s experienced advisors aim to help resolve disagreements between parents, carers and young people when they do not agree with the provision made by education, health or social care services. This also includes children or young people who are looked after by the council.

If you are unhappy with a decision that has been made in relation to your child's education, health and care (EHC) needs assessment or EHC plan, you can appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability)The Government has temporarily extended the powers of this tribunal, sometimes referred to as the ‘SEND Tribunal’, to make non-binding recommendations about the health and social care aspects of EHC plans. This applies to local authority decisions made, or EHC plans issued/amended, from 3 April 2018 and will run for two years.

Previously, the tribunal had no powers over the health and social care aspects of an EHC plan. Now, all elements of a plan can be reviewed in one place, as long as there is an education concern. This gives families a ‘one stop shop’ (or single route of redress) to be able to raise concerns about an EHC plan and will mean the tribunal can take a more holistic, person-centred view of the needs of the child or young person. For more information read our briefing note


Age group

0 to 25 years old


7-9 Elliott's Place, London, N1 8HX,

Contact number

03330 062 835 (option 2)