Coronavirus update: For the latest updates on Coronavirus (COVID-19), visit the NHS website or view Brent-specific information.

Independent special schools and post-16 colleges

Brent supports the principle that children and young people’s education and training needs are usually best met when they are able to access local mainstream provision. However, in a very small number of cases, it may not be possible or appropriate to do this within the borough.

After discussions with our Special Educational Needs Assessment Service (SENAS), it may be possible for your child to attend independent specialist provision outside Brent. View the list of independent special schools and colleges approved by the government under Section 41 of the Children and Families Act.

Applications for this type of provision are based on the needs identified in the pupil’s education, health and care (EHC) plan assessment. If local provision does not meet these needs, consideration will be given to an alternative independent provider. Requests for funding this type of placement are based on the criteria set out in the council’s high needs policy.

High needs funding is money held by the local authority to fund:

  • Pupils or students with SEND aged 5-18 with an EHC plan or SEN support with severe or complex needs, on the school roll and in full-time attendance
  • Those students aged 19-25 in general further education institutions and specialist post-16 intuitions who have an EHC plan and require additional support costing over £6,000. This is because these institutions have £6,000 from the Education Funding Agency, commissioned by the local authority, to fund support costing up to £6,000 in their budget.

High needs funding cannot be used for:

  • Students over 19 who do not have an EHC plan
  • The Skills Funding Agency is responsible for funding adult learning; this includes learning for those aged 19 and over with learning difficulties and/or disabilities who do not have an EHC plan