Social care

This section of our Local Offer explains how children and young people up to the age of 25 with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) are supported by social care services in Brent, both in the short and long-term.

Social care services may be needed if a child or young person:

  • requires specialist provision to meet identified needs following an assessment
  • is experiencing abuse or neglect or is at risk of significant harm and requires social work assessment and support.

View all social care services in the Local Offer

Our aim is to make sure that children and young people with SEND receive social care services that best meet their level of need and that they, along with their families, are fully involved in helping us to plan them. Most children and young people with SEND will have their needs met by universal (mainstream) services. These are services that anyone can use such as GPs, health visitors and schools.

Some children and young people will require extra support. Children from birth to 25 years old, with severe, permanent and substantial disabilities or long-term complex health problems, are supported by our Disabled Children and Young People's Service (0-25).

Social care also provides and a summer playscheme. Some of this provision is subject to an assessment. 

There is further information about a wide range of activities for children and young people with SEND in our activities, sports and things to do section.

Social workers aim to meet the needs that arise from a child or young person’s disability and to support their family. It is not an indication that they think the child/young person is not being looked after properly. However, if they have any concerns or believe a child may be at risk of harm, neglect or abuse, they will follow Brent's safeguarding and child protection procedures.

Other useful information in this section