Qualifications needed

The following table shows the kind of work available to you with each level of childcare qualification. See the link at the bottom of this page for more information on the different training courses for all areas of working with children.

QualificationType of work
Level two qualifications in early years and childcare or playwork can lead to work as a:
  • Family support worker in a family centre
  • Parent and toddler group assistant
  • Homestart worker
  • Nursery, playgroup, creche or pre-school assistant
  • Toy library worker
  • Holiday playscheme worker
  • Teaching assistant
Level three qualifications can lead to work as a:
  • Nursery officer in charge
  • Residential childcare worker
  • Family centre manager
  • Family care worker
  • Nursery nurse
  • Creche or pre-school leader
  • Senior play worker or co-ordinator
  • Special educational needs supporter
  • Toy library leader
  • NVQ assessor
  • Teaching assistant
Level four qualifications can lead on to

Senior management positions and strategic planning jobs in early years settings.

Young people's services in local authorities.

Professionals who provide young people with information, advice and guidance will be expected to be qualified to level four.

To find out more about courses leading to work with children, please download our training courses document. It contains information on the following course areas:

  1. ESOL (English for speakers of other languages)
  2. English and Maths
  3. First aid/emergency aid
  4. Food hygiene
  5. Apprenticeships in childcare
  6. Preparation for childcare
  7. Childcare courses - Level 1
  8. Childcare courses - Level 2
  9. Childcare courses - Level 3
  10. Childcare courses - Foundation degree and level 4
  11. Supporting teaching
  12. Preparing to teach
  13. Teaching qualification
  14. Online childcare courses