Newly built homes

Building control completion notices

The council's building control team issues completion notices.  However, these are for building regulation rather than council tax purposes, and it is possible for you to be sent separate notices showing different dates by the two teams.

Although this may seem confusing, it is important to remember that although they are both called completion notices, the reasons for their issue are different.

Setting the completion date

Although the council's planning team or the National House-building control (NHBC) may supply information about new properties, Brent Customer Services will be responsible for fixing the completion date. You can help to set the correct date by letting the team visit the property and inspect it to confirm what work still needs to be done.

The council will contact you to arrange a visit, however, if no internal inspection is possible we will send you a completion notice based on an external visit only.

If you do not agree with the completion date you can appeal to a Valuation Tribunal, but you must do this within 28 days. We recommend you also discuss the matter with us and we will consider changing the date dependent on the information you give. The completion notice will give you full details of how the process works.

If you rent or sell the property at any time, please contact us providing the full details of the new owner(s) or tenant(s) within 21 days of the change. We will update our records and send you a final bill or a refund of any overpaid charge.