People with disabilities

You may qualify for a reduction in your council tax if you or someone that lives with you (an adult or child) has a disability and your home has at least one of the following features:

  • a room, not a bathroom, kitchen or toilet that is used mainly for meeting the needs of the person with a disability.
  • a second bathroom or kitchen required for meeting the disabled person's needs.
  • enough floor space for the disabled person who needs to use a wheelchair indoors.

If you do qualify for a reduction your council tax bill will be reduced to the valuation band immediately below yours.

If your home is already in band A, you will be given a one ninth reduction on that charge. The disabled person reduction will be shown on your bill.

We will need to visit you to confirm that your home meets the requirements, and we may also ask you to provide proof from a doctor or other qualified professional that the person with the disability needs the extra space or room due to their disability.

Please fill out the application and return to: Brent Customer Services – Council Tax, P.O. Box 425, Wembley, HA9 6SU

If we do not give you the reduction and you disagree with our decision you can make an appeal.

To find out if you may be entitled to a reduction please contact the revenue and benefits team or visit a Brent Customer Service Centre.