Playgrounds, parks and open spaces remain open but as of Thursday 5 November leisure centres, outdoor gyms and games areas will close in line with the new COVID-19 restrictions. Our Parks sessions and the Walks programme will also not be going to ahead.
We are urging people to follow the latest public health advice while out and about.
Physical activity participation rates in Brent are amongst the lowest in England with only 7 per cent of our residents being sufficiently physically active.
NICE (The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) recommends that everyone participates in at least 30 minutes activity, 5 days week.
Benefits of exercising just 30 minutes a day
- boosting your cardiovascular endurance
- regulating your cholesterol
- improving your heart health
- lowering your blood pressure
- burning calories to help you maintain your weight or shed a few pounds.
Short on long chunks of time?
Even brief bouts of activity offer benefits for instance, if you can't fit in one 30-minute walk, try three 10-minute walks instead.
What's most important is making regular physical activity part of your lifestyle.
Physical activity doesn't just mean going to the gym. You can play sport, dance, go for a swim, or a walk, or take up gardening.
There are plenty of opportunities in Brent for you to enjoy, many of which are free.
- Sign up to GoodGym
- join a gardening group
- get an allotment and try your hand at growing your own food?
- Go on a healthy self led walk
- Outdoor gyms with instructor led group exercise sessions
- Find another sport in Brent
- Visit a leisure centre
- Sign up to Change 4 Life (C4L) for a personalised activity plan
- Couch to 5k - a 9 week running programme for complete beginners to get you off the couch and all the way to 5k
If you suffer from diabetes, COPD, heart disease, obesity, osteoporosis or falls, you may be eligible to participate in the "Exercise Referral Scheme". You will be offered an initial consultation and a 10 week programme at participating leisure centres.
Please visit your GP for details.
If you have a group of people and would like help or support to set up a physical activity programme, email email@example.com