Apply for a secondary school place for September 2021
Apply for children born between 1 September 2009 and 31 August 2010 who will start secondary school in September 2020.
Need help with applying?
You will be sent an email with your application reference number once you have submitted your application. If you do not receive the confirmation email then your application has not been submitted correctly.
Important information about how to apply
- Use your child’s permanent home address on 31 October 2020
- Do not use the address of a relative or someone who provides temporary care for your child, a business address, a childminders address or any address other than the child’s permanent home address
- We will check internal databases to confirm your address and will write to you if you need to submit further evidence of your address.
- If you submit a late application, use your child's permanent home address at the time you submit the application.
Your preferred schools
- List 6 preferences. List the school you want the most as your first preference
- Include your local schools amongst your preferences
- You can include schools outside Brent
- Listing only one school does not increase your chances of being offered a place.
Additional information and evidence
- Attach additional information to your application online or post it to School Admissions, PO Box 1057, Wembley, HA9 1HJ.
- A supplementary information form (SIF) is required for some schools. The online application form will advise you if a SIF is required. You should send SIFs direct to the school
- Evidence is required for looked after and previously looked after children. The social worker involved must provide a letter confirming that the child is in care. If the child was adopted immediately after being in care please provide a copy of the child arrangements order, special guardianship order or proof of adoption from your child’s home authority.
- Evidence of social/medical reasons must be provided directly to school.
Applications for Grammar Schools or other schools that test by aptitude/ability
Due to Coronavirus restrictions, some schools have had to delay their testing for selection, aptitude or ability.
Normally these schools are required to take all reasonable steps to inform parents of the outcome of selection tests before the closing date for secondary applications on 31 October so as to allow parents time to make an informed choice of school.
As not all test results will be available before the deadline, the local authority will consider any request for a change of preferences received up to 10 December 2020, where applicants want to remove or re-order a school that admits by selection, aptitude or ability.
When you receive the results of the test, you can make changes to your application preferences (such as to add or remove a selective school). To make a change you will need to email email@example.com and quote your child’s application reference number by 10 December 2020. You will receive confirmation of your changes via email and you will not be required to complete another application.
You still need to submit an application on time to the local authority by 31 October 2020. Applications received after this date will be treated as a late application, unless there is an exceptional reason why it could not be submitted on time.