Contact the Education Welfare Service

Children Missing from Education (CME) are defined in Brent as:

      • those who are not on a school roll or receiving suitable education otherwise than at school
      • children on roll at a school whose whereabouts are unknown

The Education Welfare Service provides schools with information so that they can take immediate action and risk assess CME cases from day one. This also includes advice on when schools should make referrals to the or call the police. The Education Welfare Service will take referrals from schools for CME on the 3rd day of absence.

If you know of a child that is not being educated in a school or otherwise, please email the Education Welfare Service at

View more on statutory guidance about children missing education.


Education Welfare Service
Brent Civic Centre
Engineers Way
Wembley HA9 0FJ

EnquiryContact details
School exclusions

Call 020 8937 4926


Child employment or performance licences and Chaperone licences 

Call 020 8937 3324


Home education

Call 020 8937 3316


Children Missing from Education

Call 020 8937 3313


EWO for Gypsy, Roma & Traveller Pupils

Call 020 8937 3329

General enquiries