How do I join?
How to get involved
All of Brent’s secondary schools and The College of North West London have two seats reserved on the parliament. Please contact your school to find out if they already have reps on BYP, if they are not sure please send an email to: BYP@brent.gov.uk
All of Brent’s secondary schools have a seat reserved on the parliament. Ten seats on BYP are reserved for primary-aged pupils (from Year Six). Primary pupils will be elected via elections organised by the council. Your primary and secondary head teachers will have details on how you can be selected.
The College of North West London have two seats reserved on the parliament. Your student union will have details on how you can be selected.
There are seats reserved for targeted/vulnerable young people on the parliament.
Here are some examples of individuals that can apply for the targeted seats:
- Young people with disabilities
- Young people in care
- Young people who are not in education, employment or training
- Young people who are seeking asylum /have refugee status
- Young people who go to special schools, Pupil Referral Units or home tutored.
If you do not go to school in Brent (but live or work in Brent) or you would like to represent the area you live in, please send an email expressing your interest to: BYP@brent.gov.uk
Your youth group/project/organisation or sports clubs
There are 15 seats reserved on the parliament for local youth clubs and youth organisations.
Youth Service/ BYM2
There are five seats reserved on the parliament for youth groups within the youth service. Ask your youth worker for further details.
What we will be expected of you
- you must commit to attending the monthly BYP sessions. Non attendance may lead to exemption from BYP
- there will be other opportunities to attend events and sit on various committees.