How to book and course fees
How to enrol
You can enrol using one of the following methods:
- in person at one of our centres with your fee and/or proof of your eligibility for a reduction where applicable.
- by calling 020 8937 3950 and have your credit/debit card ready if a fee applies to your course.
- Online by applying for a course via https://ebs4portal-brentlive.msoutsourcing.co.uk/. A member of staff will then contact you to arrange a visit to complete your enrolment.
You will also need to complete a learner agreement at the centre at which you are studying.
You may be asked to show proof that you are eligible for courses funded by the Skills Funding Agency such as passport or documents showing that you have been granted settled status.
Course fees are to be paid on enrolment. We do not reserve spaces on our courses.
You will be required to provide valid proof that you are entitled to receive a free course or a reduced fee at enrolment. An exam fee and additional costs for materials may also apply.
Fees will be refunded only if:
- a class is closed by Brent Start prior to the course commencing, tuition fees will be refunded in full (exam fees are only refundable on courses closed by Brent Start)
- the course is closed because of low numbers, tuition fees will be refunded on a pro-rata basis
There are four different types of courses and different fee options apply to each
Adult skills budget courses (ASB)
For ASB courses there is a course fee and an examination fee. However, you may be able to study for free if you are:
- on Job Seeker’s Allowance or Employment Support Allowance (Work-Related Activity Group) or Universal Credit (and mandated to skills training)
- unemployed and in receipt of a means tested benefit (or are dependent on someone who is unemployed and in receipt of a means tested benefit) and sign a Declaration of Intention to enter employment
- aged 19-23 studying an entry or Level 1 ASB course and do not already have a qualification at Level 2 or above. (This does not apply to ESOL, English or Maths courses.)
- aged 19-23 studying for a full Level 2 qualification and do not already have a full Level 2 qualification or equivalent
- aged 19-24 studying for a full Level 3 qualification and do not already have a full Level 3 qualification or equivalent
- studying GCSE English or Maths and do not already have a grade C or above
- studying for an English (but not ESOL) or Maths qualification from Entry 1 to Level 2
If you are eligible to study the course for free your exams will be free too.
If you are employed but also receive a means tested benefit, you will need to pay the first £40 of the exam fee.
Community learning courses
These courses do not have an exam fee. There are three payment bands.
Fee A - Full, non-concessionary fee
Fee B - for learners who are working or retired and are in receipt of means tested benefits other than JSA/ESA e.g. housing benefit, council tax benefit, income support or pension credit.
Fee C - for learners on Job Seeker’s Allowance or Employment Support Allowance (Work-Related Activity Group) or Universal Credit (mandated) or unemployed and in receipt of a means tested benefit (or dependent on someone who is unemployed and in receipt of a means tested benefit) and sign a Declaration of Intention to enter employment.
Full cost courses
For full-cost courses, you must pay the full course and exam fees and no concessions apply.
Advanced Learner Loans
If you are aged 24 or above and studying a certificate or diploma course at Level 3, you can apply for a loan to cover the cost of the course and exam.
For these courses if you do not apply for a loan you must pay the course and exam fees in full. We will help you with your loan application. For more information on loans, contact one of our centres.
For all courses you will be required to provide valid proof that you are entitled to receive a free course or a reduced fee at enrolment. Payment must be made by card.
If your course lasts 15 weeks or longer, you can pay your fees in two equal instalments. You must pay the first instalment at enrolment.
Payments must be made by card. We are unable to take cash or cheques. Exam fees are non-refundable and must be paid at enrolment.