Apprenticeships in Brent
Things to read
Things to do
Could you be our next apprentice?
Apprenticeships give you the opportunity to work for a real employer, earn a real salary and complete a real qualification whilst gaining valuable workplace skills and experience. Apprenticeships are available in more than 170 industries, from advertising to youth work and environmental engineering to business management.
Apprenticeships can offer great long-term progression. After finishing, the majority of apprentices (85 per cent) stay in employment, with two-thirds staying with the same employer. A third of all former apprentices receive a promotion within 12 months of finishing. Employers think that qualified apprentices are 15 per cent more employable than those with other qualifications (Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, May 2012).
An apprenticeship includes:
- a work placement with on-the-job learning
- taking part in training courses to gain recognised qualifications in the skills area of the placement
- working towards certificates in technical skills
- working towards certificates in key or functional skills, for example maths, English, and ICT.
There are three types of apprenticeships you can apply for depending on your current skills, qualifications and the nature of the role:
- Intermediate Level Apprenticeship (equivalent of five GCSEs at grade C and above)
- Advanced Level Apprenticeship (equivalent of two A Levels)
- Higher Apprenticeships (equivalent to a degree)
You can continue from one level to another so that in some sectors you can progress to degree and postgraduate level qualifications via apprenticeships.
Talking about apprenticeships
Tanisha talks about her decision to become an apprentice, and what she’s learned in her Business Admin apprenticeship so far.
Finding an apprenticeship
There are a number of places to look for your perfect apprenticeship opportunity:
- Brent Apprenticeships: View vacancies created by our work with local businesses in Brent to help them create apprenticeships.
- Register your interest in becoming an apprentice in Brent - receive email alerts about upcoming apprenticeship events and local vacancies from us and our partners
- Apprenticeships at Brent Council: Find out about becoming an apprentice with us and helping to shape our local community
- National Apprenticeship Service: View current apprenticeship vacancies in the UK and create a profile to receive alerts when suitable opportunities come up
- Not going to Uni: A comprehensive site for current apprenticeship opportunities, gap years, distance learning and jobs
- GOV.UK: General information about apprenticeships and regulations
- Brent Connexions Service: Employment information, advice and guidance for young people aged 13 to 19 (and up to the age of 25 for those with learning difficulties and/or disabilities)
If you have an Android or Apple device, search for 'apprenticeship' in Google Play Store or Apple App Store for free apps that give information and guidance on apprenticeships, including help searching and applying for apprenticeship vacancies and finding out what should be covered in your apprenticeship contract.