Our main duties include the investigation of noise nuisance caused by barking dogs, indiscriminate dog fouling complaints as well as dealing with stray and dangerous dogs.
We also work to promote responsible pet ownership through a series of promotional events and work in close partnership with The Mayhew Animal Home.
Pay an animal welfare fee
Use our online form to pay for a:
- stray dog release
- dog control order fine
- dog fouling penalty.
What powers do we have?
Our animal welfare officers work Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm.
They have the power to:
- issue fixed penalty notices (£75) under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 for failing to remove your dog's mess, maximum number of dogs to be walked (4), areas where dogs are excluded and areas where dogs are to be kept on leads
- seize and detain stray dogs under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
- seize and detain dangerous dogs under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 and Dogs Act 1871
- investigate the noise nuisance caused by barking dogs and take the appropriate action under the Environmental Protection Act 1990
- prosecute owners of dogs who fail to ensure their dogs are wearing a collar and tag when in a public place.