Problems paying my rent

If you are facing financial difficulties and think you are going to be in rent arrears you should contact your income collection officer as soon as possible by calling 020 8937 2730.

Do not delay - the problem may get worse if you ignore it.

How we can help you

  • We will advise you on how to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction if you are on a low income
  • We will advise you on claiming other benefits and where to go for more advice on benefits or arrange for you to see a specialist adviser.

What will happen if I don’t pay my rent?

If you owe rent you will not be able to:

  • insure your home contents with our insurance scheme
  • rent a garage from us
  • carry out a mutual exchange of your council home
  • get a good reference from us for a building society or bank should you want to buy your home
  • transfer from one council home to another and you may be refused other benefits associated with being a council tenant.
  • We may take court action against you, which could lead to you being evicted from your home.

Court action

If we take you to court and get a possession order and money judgement, you will:

  • have to pay our costs
  • lose the right to buy your home
  • have difficulty getting credit or loans.

Further help

The Council runs daily rent drop-in sessions at the Civic Centre between 9am and 5pm, where you can come and talk to a specialist Income Recovery (Rents) Officer and discuss any queries relating to matters such as re-payment arrangements, any legal action that has commenced, paying online and general housing benefit and welfare benefit advice. 

We also run drop in session in South Kilburn:

Thursdays - 9am to 1pm
Community Resource Centre
William Dunbar House
Albert Road Kilburn,
London NW6 5DE

Appointment only rent session are also available on St Raphael's Estate.

Fridays - 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm
The Living Room
The Old Boiler House,
Next to 65-80 Besant Way,
St Raphael’s Estate, 
NW10 0TY

Enquire about rent drop-in sessions