Looking after your home

All secure tenants have a right to carry out improvements and make alterations to their home. 

You do not require permission for minor improvements such as fitting shelves and cupboards or installing secondary glazing. You must however, ask the council's permission before carrying out any major improvements or alterations such as:

  • Building an extension
  • Partitioning of rooms
  • Removing walls and chimney breasts
  • Adding a garage or car parking space.
  • Installing a cat flap 

If you wish to install a satellite dish on your property, you will need to request permission from the Council.

Sign in or activate your online tenant account to request permission  

As a tenant, you are responsible for the repairs and maintenance of all improvements and alterations. 

Aids and adaptations for disabilities

If you are having difficulties in using your present facilities, contact us and enquire if the Council to carry out improvements and adaptations to suit your needs.