Mutual Exchange

All secure tenants have a legal right to swap homes with another tenant either within the same borough or elsewhere in the country.

Eligibility for mutual exchange

 In order to be eligible for a mutual exchange:

  • You must be a secure tenant which means the council has not obtained a possession order against you, or that you have not breached a suspended possession order
  • You must not be an introductory tenant
  • You must not have any rent arrears
  • The size of the property of both parties willing to exchange must meet the needs of the family
  • No money or gifts have exchanged hands.

Apply for mutual exchange

You can apply for a mutual exchange online and you may advertise in any way in order to find someone to swap with.

You can do this through the following websites:

Once you have found someone, you must complete a mutual exchange application form which is available from your Housing Officer. On receipt of your completed application form, Brent Council will inform you of our decision within 42 days.

The respective landlords of both tenants must authorise the exchange, or the exchange may be considered illegal, with both parties being required to return to their original homes.

Contact us about mutual exchange