Taking in a lodger

If you are a secure or fixed term tenant, you have the right to take in lodgers and subtenants.

You must not sublet the whole of your home or you will be in breach of your tenancy agreement and committing a criminal offence.

Subletting your home

If you are thinking about taking in a lodger or subletting your home, remember these important points:

  • You must get our permission first by putting any request in writing to your Housing Officer.
  • You are responsible for the behaviour of any lodgers or subtenants while they live in your home. You are advised to carry out appropriate checks on anyone moving into your home to ensure they are who they say they are and that they are trustworthy. If you decide you want them to leave, you will have to arrange this yourself

What is a lodger?

A lodger is someone who shares your home, usually in return for a payment. Although they may have their own room, they do not have exclusive use of it and they do not have any tenancy rights. A lodger may receive services such as laundry, cleaning and meals (in this case, they may also be known as a 'boarder').

What is a Subtenant?

Subletting is where you let part of your home to a subtenant in return for payment. They will have a part of your home (usually a bedroom) for their exclusive use and you cannot enter this area without their permission.

Are my family or partner lodgers?

Family members and partners who live with you as part of your household are not normally considered lodgers or subtenants.

Please note - if there is a change in who shares your home with you, there is still a need to inform us. If you claim benefits, you also need to tell the relevant agencies as it may affect what you can claim. The Department of Work and Pensions and Brent Council will be able to give you more information.

What rights do lodgers or subtenants have?

A lodger or subtenant never becomes part of your tenancy with the Council. They do not have any rights to your home or to take over your tenancy if you leave or die.

However, you must give your lodger or subtenant reasonable notice before they have to leave. This can be a verbal or written request.

For further information, please contact us




Related documents
Pdf 1.6MB
Updated: Jan 31, 2019, 11:27 AM
Pdf 304.6KB
Updated: Jan 31, 2019, 11:27 AM
Pdf 7.5MB
Updated: Feb 04, 2019, 01:57 PM