Problems paying my rent

If you are facing financial difficulties and think you are going to be in rent arrears you should contact your income collection officer as soon as possible by calling 020 8937 2730.

Do not delay - the problem may get worse if you ignore it.

How we can help you

  • We will advise you on how to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction if you are on a low income
  • We will advise you on claiming other benefits and where to go for more advice on benefits or arrange for you to see a specialist adviser.

What will happen if I don’t pay my rent?

If you owe rent you will not be able to:

  • insure your home contents with our insurance scheme
  • rent a garage from us
  • carry out a mutual exchange of your council home
  • get a good reference from us for a building society or bank should you want to buy your home
  • transfer from one council home to another and you may be refused other benefits associated with being a council tenant.
  • We may take court action against you, which could lead to you being evicted from your home.

Court action

If we take you to court and get a possession order and money judgement, you will:

  • have to pay our costs
  • lose the right to buy your home
  • have difficulty getting credit or loans.

Further help