If you are threatened with being removed from your home it is important to seek advice on your rights.
Your legal rights will depend on the type of tenancy that you hold and also on the reason that the landlord wants to evict you.
It is also important to establish if the eviction is being carried out legally. If landlords do not follow the correct procedure they can commit the crime of unlawful eviction.
We have powers to prosecute offending landlords and a tenant who has been unlawfully evicted can also seek damages from the courts.
If you live in Brent and your landlord is threatening to unlawfully evict you, contact us on 020 8937 2000.  One of our officers will then be able to look at your case and explain your rights.

Information for council tenants on eviction

Council tenants often hold a different type of tenancy to a private tenant and this will affect the rules the landlord must follow to carry out a lawful eviction.

If you are a Council tenant, please obtain independent legal advice on the eviction process. Contact Citizens Advice Bureau, Advice4Renters, SSP Law or a solicitor.

Information for private tenants on eviction 

If you do not live with landlord or a member of their family you will be entitled to some form of written notice which tells you that they intend to end the letting agreement.

You will probably be entitled to receive either a Notice to Quit or a Notice Seeking Possession.

The period of notice can vary from as little as two weeks to two months, depending on a number of factors including:

  • when the tenancy began
  • the type of tenancy or licence which you hold
  • the reason why the landlord wants the property back

However, at the end of the notice period, if you have not found alternative accommodation, the landlord must then go to court to obtain a Possession Order. It is important that you seek advice on your rights before you leave your tenancy.

To find out if your Section 21 notice is valid, you can find out more information on the Tenants Voice website 

Special rules for resident landlord tenancies

If you share your living accommodation with the landlord or a member of the landlord's family, special rules may apply and the landlord may not have to go to court to evict you.

In some circumstances the landlord may only have to give you reasonable notice and after the notice period has ended the landlord may be able to carry out a peaceful eviction. However, this applies only if the landlord has been a resident throughout your tenancy.

Harassment in your home 

A person may harass or intimidate you to the point where you feel you have no other choice than to leave their home. It may be a criminal offence to do this.

It is also against the law for a landlord to do anything which prevents you from peacefully occupying your home.

Some of the following actions by a landlord or from his or her agent could be harassment:

  • attempting to force you to leave your home or locking you out
  • deliberately interfering with your gas, water or electricity supplies
  • using threats to get you to leave your accommodation
  • forcing you to sign a new agreement which reduces your legal rights to occupy your home
  • interfering with or confiscating your personal possessions
  • refusing to allow you to have friends visit you in your home
  • insisting that you hand over the keys to your home
  • the landlord moving into part of the accommodation which you rent and have exclusive occupation of
  • the landlord, his agent or workmen entering your home without permission or without prior notice
  • the landlord, his agent or workmen persistently disturbing you without good reason.

If your landlord is carrying out acts which are designed to drive you out of your home you should contact SSP Law on 020 8369 5812 or email info@ssplaw.co.uk and ask for help under Brent Council’s Tenancy Relations Service. Alternatively, you may contact us and obtain advice on your tenancy rights.

One of our officers or SSP Law can contact the landlord on your behalf to try to resolve the dispute, or to investigate your allegations. 

Exclusion by family or friends

If you are being excluded from your home, we can try to mediate between you and your friend or family member.

Your Housing Officer will call your friend or family member to have any initial discussion about your case. They will then book a visit to confirm the circumstances of the exclusion.