Top Tips for private renters
- DO NOT hand over money straight away
- Always bear in mind that landlords and lettings agents always look for good tenants – people who are reliable, will keep the property in good condition and pay the rent. There is a huge demand for private rented accommodation out of London so the better you are able to present yourself, the more likely it is that landlords and agents will be impressed.
- Ring landlords and agents – It will usually take more than a couple of phone calls before you’re viewing properties and you shouldn’t expect lettings agents always to ring you back. Making regular, polite and relaxed calls is a very good idea.
- Don’t contact just one or two lettings agencies – Keep regular track of all the agencies that serve the areas you want to live in; make sure you’re checking local newspapers, websites, community noticeboards, shop windows and so on. The wider you search, the more likely you will be successful.
- When you have viewings of properties… look presentable, be on time, be friendly, and make sure you have your particular questions written down and ready to ask.