Enforcing your Rights

In an emergency, always call 999

If you're using this section and you're worried about someone seeing what you're looking at online, click on the link to the BBC website which will take you to the BBC homepage.

Visit the BBC website 

There are certain legal options that individuals can pursue if they are a victim of domestic abuse. If you wish to do this, it is best to seek legal advice and you may be eligible for legal aid.

A non-molestation order:

You can obtain a non-molestation order against someone who has been physically violent or against someone who is harassing, intimidating or pestering you.

An occupation order:

An occupation order is a type of injunction which deals with those who live at the family home. An occupation order can:

  •      Order your abuser to move out of the home or to stay away from the home
  •      Order your abuser to keep a certain distance away from the home
  •      Order your abuser to stay in certain parts of the home at certain times (for example it can order him to sleep in a different bedroom)
  •      Order your abuser to allow you back into the home if he/she has locked you out
  •      Order him/her to continue to pay the mortgage, rent or bills

For more information on these options please visit Rights of Women at www.rightsofwomen.org.uk or call the National Centre for Domestic Violence, which provides a free, fast emergency injunction service to survivors of domestic violence (080 0970 2070).

24 hour national domestic violence freephone helpline 0808 2000 247