Fleeing abuse

If you have to leave or have left your current accommodation because of domestic abuse the Council may be able to support you. The Council will be able to provide you with advice and may be able to provide emergency accommodation after considering your circumstances and the support that you currently have (e.g. whether you are able to stay with friends or family).  

It is important to note that if you leave your home or have left your home due to domestic abuse you will not be considered ‘intentionally homeless’ by the Council. In addition, if you are fleeing domestic abuse you are entitled to apply to any local authority and you will not be referred back to your local authority of residence if there is a risk of violence if you return.

You can make an application to receive further advice and information about your housing issue. To make an application, you will need access to a computer and have a number of details to hand to complete an online application. To make an application please register on our Brent customer portal.

If you don’t have access to a computer, you may visit our Customer Services centre at the Brent Civic Centre or your local library to use a computer. You may also refer to your family/friends or other support networks to help if need assistance completing your online application.

Please note that you can request to be seen by an officer of the same gender as you and you can also request an interpreter if you do not speak English. Further, you will be under no obligation to report any incident to the police if you seek help from the Council.

  If you are in immediate danger or would prefer to discuss your housing issue with an officer, please call 0208 937 2000 (please choose option 3 for housing options and then option 3 for domestic violence)