Homeless - former members of armed forces

Members of Her Majesty’s regular naval, military and air forces are generally provided with accommodation by the Ministry of Defence (MOD), but are required to leave this accommodation when they are discharged from the service.

Prior to leaving the service, the armed forces provide housing information and advice to service personnel. This is provided through the Joint Service Housing Advice Office. Some people who have served in the armed forces for a long period or are medically discharged may be offered assistance by the MOD’s resettlement staff.

For more information visit the JSHAO website.

If a member of the armed forces is going to be discharged from the service, the MOD will issue a “Certificate of Cessation of Entitlement to Occupy Service Accommodation”. A local authority housing department will consider this certificate as proof that the individual is threatened with homelessness. 

The council may be able to provide advice if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness and you are unable to make provisions for yourself. You can make an application to receive further advice and information about your housing issue.

If you are currently homeless or facing the threat of homelessness then you may be eligible for housing assistance.

Apply for Housing Assistance

If you don’t have access to a computer, you may visit our Customer Services centre at the Brent Civic Centre or your local library to use a computer. You may also refer to your family/friends or other support networks to help if you need assistance completing your online application.


Will the council provide me with accommodation?

We can provide advice and support to you to help you find alternative accommodation. However we will not have a duty to provide emergency accommodation or temporarily house you unless you are considered to be eligible, homeless and have priority need. For more information on the homelessness criteria please visit www.shelter.org.uk or contact Shelter on 080 8800 4444. In addition, you can discuss this with the council when making a homelessness application.

If you are a single person with support needs, the Single Housing Pathway can discuss with you a referral for floating support or supported housing. 


Where else can I get housing support?

Below is a list of organisations providing housing support. If you would like further information, please contact them directly:

  • Spaces helps single ex service personnel find housing throughout the United Kingdom which can be temporary or permanent. If you contact them within six months of leaving the Armed Forces they may be able to help you find accommodation. If you have been out of the Armed Forces for more than six months they can provide you with information and advice on housing. Visit the Spaces website
  • Royal British Legion Industries provides advice and support with housing and care for people leaving the Armed Forces, veterans and their families. They offer a number of family housing schemes, assisted living schemes, and supported housing. Visit the Royal British Legion Industries website
  • Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association Forces Help - If you are serving in the Armed Forces, a veteran or the dependant of those serving and veterans, you can get free housing advice and assistance to those eligible for help. They provide some housing facilities and also provide help to people who are homeless. Visit the SSAFA website
  • Veterans Aid - If you are homeless, or are likely to become homeless, they can provide direct and immediate help to vulnerable veterans with finding hostel accommodation. Visit the Veterans aid website

Other housing options

I am a disabled veteran

  • Sir Oswald Stoll Foundation - provides housing and support to vulnerable and disabled veterans and their dependants in England. If you are offered a place in one of their homes, they provide a home for life if you need it, or help to find training and work to get back to independent living. Visit the Sir Oswald Stoll foundation website

Employment support

  • CTP - connects veterans with jobs, employment fairs, courses and training programmes. Visit the CTP website
  • Hire a Hero - a registered UK charity that offers opportunities for training, mentoring and career coaching, as well as providing a job board where vacancies can be browsed and posted. Visit the Hire a Hero website
  • Civvystreet - a branch of the British legion, designed to help find openings for veterans. It is also for their widows, widowers, partners and dependants. Visit the Civvystreet website
  • Troops to Teachers - a government initiative, designed to encourage military personnel to re-train as educators. The Troops to Teachers non-graduate programme for eligible Service leavers to become primary or secondary school teachers, gaining a University of Brighton degree and earning a salary whilst training. The programme matches you with a school in your home location for two years of training, supporting you through intensive study weeks and weekly web based university studies. Visit the Troops to Teachers website
  • VETS - open to anyone who has served in the UK Armed Forces, or with any other nation’s Armed Forces. VETS matches you with a Mentor to help you identify your key skills and find the role best suited for you. It also offers free CV and Interview workshops, work experience and access to a diverse jobs list from our corporate partners who recognise the skills of those who have served in the Forces. VETS will also continue to support you as you make the transition into work and once you have found employment. VETS is a completely free service for ex-service personnel. Visit the VETS website

Other support

  • The Veterans Charity - a charity, who specialise in assisting the men and women of our forces who are experiencing monetary hardship. They provide items including food shopping, clothing, household items and smartphones to aid vital communication. Visit the Veterans Charity website
  • StepChange - a notable charity that offer invaluable advice to anybody struggling with debt repayments, working closely with armed forces charity SSAFA to offer advice to armed forces veterans. Visit the StepChange website
  The gov.uk website gives information on the benefits that armed personnel and veterans can get. Visit the GovUK website