Homeless - hospital discharge

If you are being discharged from hospital and you are facing the threat of homelessness or you are unable to return to your property, we can assess your situation to see if we are able to provide assistance. 

Apply for Housing Assistance

Whether you are being discharged from hospital due to physical health, mental health or an alternative reason, we will make an assessment to see if we are able to assist you regarding your housing issue. This assessment can take place in the hospital so you don’t need to worry if you are unable to make it into the Civic Centre.

We can provide advice and support to help you find alternative accommodation. However, we will not have a duty to provide emergency accommodation or temporarily house you unless you are considered to be eligible, homeless and have a priority need.

You can find more information on the homelessness criteria or contact Shelter on 080 8800 4444. 

If we find that you are eligible for housing assistance, are homeless and have a priority need and a local connection to Brent and need to go through rehabilitation or physio or you are placed into a care home, we can continue working with you until you are placed into a suitable property.

Referral process

If you are being discharged from hospital and need assistance regarding your housing, a referral must be made to us from social services or the hospital that you are in. No self-referrals can be made.

All hospitals have a referral pathway to follow regarding hospital discharge so let a staff member know if you are due to be discharged and you are facing homelessness or are unable to return to your property.

What should I do?

Let us know as early as possible if you are being discharged from hospital and do not have accommodation available upon discharge or you have a housing need for example a leak in your property or it is unsuitable due to medical issues.

Try to have documents available if possible through the help of your support network or support worker. We will be unable to provide assistance if you do not have correct documentation. Please see following list of documents that may be necessary when we are assessing your homelessness:

  • Proof of ID for yourself and all members of your household (e.g. passport, full birth certificate, residence permit, home office documents)
  • Tenancy agreement (if you have one)
  • Notices or letters given to you from your landlord
  • Contact details of the people you are living with
  • Proof of your household's income (e.g. 3 months bank statements for all active accounts, 3 months’ payslips, your most recent Benefit entitlement letters for all Benefits that you receive)
  • Any medical records necessary for you or any member of your household
  • Proof of address for the past 5 years (one document for each year)

Floating support

If you are a single person with support needs, the Single Housing Pathway can discuss with you a referral for floating support or supported housing. Floating support can provide help such as assistance with tenancy issues, completing forms and budget plans – they do not offer personal care such as care at home or shopping.

If you do not meet the criteria for supported housing or floating support then a referral to the SHPS (Single Homelessness Prevention Service) could be made with your consent. This service will work with you to prevent and relieve your homelessness and sustain accommodation.

Community links

  • Brent Irish Advisory Service (BIAS)BIAS offers assistance for Brent’s Irish community surrounding welfare advice, passport information, advocacy and works closely with older people through pensioners groups.
  • Ashford Place - Ashford Place is a community resource centre. Their main areas of support are Housing (for those with a connection to Brent only), Training, Employment & Enterprise, Substance Misuse Services, and Community Engagement. They also offer support with resettlement, supported housing, tenancy sustainment, work skills, vocational training and welfare benefits advice. Services are by appointment only, so please call or email to speak with one of their advisors. 
  • Brent Outreach and Engagement Team (BOET)BOET works across the borough to provide residents with advice and support around substance misuse issues and can facilitate access into a wide range of treatment options. They run a number of groups and workshops from their base in Harlesden, but also have satellites at various locations across the borough. Appointments can be made in person, over the phone or via email. 
  • StreetlinkStreetLink exists to help end rough sleeping by enabling members of the public to connect people sleeping rough with the local services that can support them. The details you provide are sent to the local authority or outreach service for the area in which you have seen the person, to help them find the individual and connect them to support.